turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vparis510

Why did I get my fedral refund paper check from Civista bank and not my state from Civista bank I’m missing over $1,500 from state and I did them through turbo tax ?

How come I got a fedral refund from Civista bank and not my state refund and this was all supposed to be direct deposit what’s going on? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Why did I get my fedral refund paper check from Civista bank and not my state from Civista bank I’m missing over $1,500 from state and I did them through turbo tax ?

Did you choose to pay your TurboTax fees out of the Federal refund?  Since you mentioned Civista Bank, this answer will assume you did.

If so, Civista Bank is one of the banks used in that process.   The intermediary bank receives the Federal refund from the IRS in the first direct deposit, subtracts the fees, and then sends you the rest in a direct deposit.  If that second direct deposit fails, then the funds go back to the intermediary bank (likely Civista Bank in your case), who issues you the refund in a paper check less an additional $20 service fee.

A state refund, in contrast, does not go through that intermediary bank, so Civista Bank would not be involved.  The state refund would go directly from your state tax agency to your bank account (or card.)    If your state attempted a direct deposit and it failed, it would go back to your state tax agency, and it would be the state that would issue you a check in the mail.

Are you sure your state refund has even been released?  Some states are quick with state refunds, while some (such as GA, AL, CO, WV, etc.) can take a long time, even several weeks.

If you efiled the state return, use the tool below to be sure the state return was successfully efiled and accepted:

https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp

If that confirms it was accepted, or if you mailed the state return, then here's how to check the status of a state refund. 

TIP:  While you are at the state tax website, see if they have a notice or FAQ on how long it usually takes to get a refund in your state and how long to wait before calling them. 

FAQ:  How do I track my state refund?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300211

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies