turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dgonen

Did not receive K-1 form for trust payments, can I avoid penalties and interest?

I received money from a trust in 2017.  I did not receive a K-1 form and was told the trust had paid all the taxes.  However, I found out from the IRS that the trust did file a K-1 form, but the trustee has admitted she neglected to send it to me.  I therefore did not pay any taxes on my 2017 return.  Now the IRS says I owe the taxes plus penalty and interest.  Since the trustee has admitted she failed to send me the K-1 form, then can I ask the IRS to waive the penalty and interest?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Did not receive K-1 form for trust payments, can I avoid penalties and interest?

You can ask for the penalty to be waived and they may do it ... however they will not forgive the interest.  Get the trust to reimburse you for the interest & penalty.  

dmertz
Level 15

Actually, seek reimbursement from the trustee, not from the trust.  It's the trustee who has the fiduciary responsibility.  The trust should not be penalized for a failure of the trustee.

dgonen

The trustee has offered to reimburse me, but I feel bad for her and would prefer the IRS to waive the penalty since I did not know I owed any tax.

dmertz
Level 15

See the following IRS page on Penalty Relief:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/penalty-relief

Under the circumstances, it seems that you have reasonable cause to get relief from the penalty, particularly if you have a statement from the trustee saying that the trustee failed to provide you with the Schedule K-1.  You would then have to decide how much reimbursement from the trustee is appropriate since it's possible for you to have had the money that should have been used to pay the tax invested at a rate that would cover at least part of the interest rate charged by the IRS on the late tax payment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies