Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Did anybody get it topic tax 201 on their refund after filed were you able to make payment arrangements and still get your refund

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies

Did anybody get it topic tax 201 on their refund after filed were you able to make payment arrangements and still get your refund

Sorry ... they have the money and you are not getting it back no matter what you do ... they will apply it to the debt you have even if you set up payments.  

Tax Topic 201 means that you owe tax to the IRS. 

Tax Topic 201 explains the collection process for income tax due. It says that "if you don't pay your tax in full when you file your tax return, you'll receive a bill for the amount you owe. This bill starts the collection process...." It goes on to say that the first notice you receive will explain the balance due so that should give you insight into why you owe tax. They also give you an option to make payments on the amount that you owe. 

The IRS website below provides additional information:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc201.html

I got one after I had filed. And I can't find how much it is or what is it that I owe and it's driving me nuts

You can check with the Bureau of Fiscal Services to see if there is an offset order on record for you:

You can contact the IRS Treasury Offset Program Call Center at 1-800-304-3107 to ask if they have an offset for you on file. TurboTax would not have that information.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-payments/who-can-garnish-an-income-tax-refund/L7cPPzDyc

https://www.irs.gov/uac/tax-refund-offsets-pay-unpaid-debts

• I got tax topic 201 and I don't owe anyone. 
CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Klrjones Tax topic 201 means that you owe taxes to the IRS, and they need to be paid or an installment agreement needs to be set up by 4/15/2020. If you cannot pay your balance in full, you are able to apply for an installment agreement with the IRS. To do so, click here: Additional Information on Payment Plans

"WKins2 Employee Tax Expert"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kizzie20

I never received any type of payment request from irs but they took my refund stating 201 topic..so how do I get my monies back

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Refer to the following IRS page to learn more about Tax Topic 201:  IRS.gov - Tax Topic 201 The Collection Process.

You will need to call the IRS directly to discuss the garnishment of your refund and if you are able to get it back.  Go here for steps to reach a live IRS agent when you call.

I got topic 201 and 203 they did reduce I owe 100 in child support but I got the rest does that mean I still owe them or I'm fin??

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

If you received the remainder of your refund, you have satisfied your child support obligation for now. I suggest if you need to make future child support payments, stay current so this won't be a future issue.

Jaylenno
Returning Member

I have a topic 201. But student loans are supposed to be waived. Why do I need to set up a payment arrangement when default loans are being waived? And how can I speak to someone at the IRS when nobody is there to speak to?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

The stimulus checks will be paid with no regard to student loans. 

The same is not true regarding tax refunds. 

Link about offsets

I have a question, so I filed 2018 and 2019 on April 3. Just today I got a status of Tax Topic 201. Will I get my stimulus check now that they have my direct deposit information since I filed both years?

Do they take your stimulus check if you owe back in taxes.?

No ... only child support will be taken. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies