Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member


My parents didn’t claim me as a dependent on their 2018 taxes but I put on my 2018 taxes that I “can be claimed as a dependent” does that mean that I filed as a dependent even though I wasn’t claimed by anyone?

3 Replies
Level 15
New Member


So even though I didn’t get claimed I technically filed as a dependent and have to amend my return

Expert Alumni


The question that is asked is "Could" you be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.  If that is the case you have filed correctly whether or not they claimed you.  It is possible your parents should amend to claim you if they could have and didn't. 


If you do not meet either of the tests below, then the question becomes did you get all the taxes withheld from your pay refunded?  If you did then you have nothing else to file for. 


If you are not a dependent and you did not get all the withholding refunded then you can file an amendment to get more refund if you wish.


Here are the tests to qualify as a dependent.


First to be a qualifying child:

  1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.

  2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), (b) under age 24 at the end of the year, a student, and younger than you (or your spouse if filing jointly), or (c) any age if permanently and totally disabled.

  3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year.2

  4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

  5. The child must not be filing a joint return for the year (unless that joint return is filed only to claim a refund of withheld income tax or estimated tax paid).

Next to be a qualifying relative:

  1. The person can't be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.

  2. The person either (a) must be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who don't have to live with you , or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).

  3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,200.

  4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings