Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

CP13 for SSN Correction

Hi There,


I submitted my taxes through TurboTax(PC Download) and when I check the e-file status, it says "Congratulations, IRS has accepted the return and you are finished with taxes". I still haven't received my refund and recently have received an email explaining in short "CP13 - We found an error in your return and error could be one of the following - SSN is missing/incomplete/mismatch/ITIN exemption could not be applied". It also mentions to contact at [phone number removed]. 

I have been filing with Turbo tax for the past 5 years and most of the personal details are auto-populated. Now, when I checked the filing, I saw for my wife there is her ITIN number instead of SSN which she got in 2019. As the filing was successful through the last years, I might have not noticed. Given now, I have this letter from IRS: I wanted to check on the following for your assistance:

1.  Why this wasn't caught while filing?

2. What are the options I have along with calling the given number


Appreciate your guidance and any assistance!




2 Replies
Level 15

CP13 for SSN Correction

Given now, I have this letter from IRS: I wanted to check on the following for your assistance:


1.  Why this wasn't caught while filing?  Only you could have caught this issue  ... once the SS# was issued it is up to you to use it. Last year the ITIN was probably still valid which is why the IRS did not catch this last year but they did this year. 


2. What are the options I have along with calling the given number  If the IRS has already removed and recalculated the return then your only option will be to file an amended return.   First you must change the return to the way the IRS changed it and then amend it adding your spouse back on using the SS# this time.




Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN. You must also notify the IRS that you have received the SSN (see below).


 It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns. It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number. 


If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due. 


You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined.


Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available.  The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN. 


Send your letter to:  


     Internal Revenue Service  

     Austin, TX 73301-0057  


Level 2

CP13 for SSN Correction

Thank you for quick response and helping me understand the issue and how to resolve it.

If I have to amend, can I do it using the same turbo tax (Delux) downloaded software which I have used for filing? if could you share some steps if you have handy on how to do it? thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies