After you file

Given now, I have this letter from IRS: I wanted to check on the following for your assistance:

1.  Why this wasn't caught while filing?  Only you could have caught this issue  ... once the SS# was issued it is up to you to use it. Last year the ITIN was probably still valid which is why the IRS did not catch this last year but they did this year. 

2. What are the options I have along with calling the given number  If the IRS has already removed and recalculated the return then your only option will be to file an amended return.   First you must change the return to the way the IRS changed it and then amend it adding your spouse back on using the SS# this time.

Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN. You must also notify the IRS that you have received the SSN (see below).

 It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns. It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number. 

If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due. 

You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined.

Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available.  The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN. 

Send your letter to:  

     Internal Revenue Service  

     Austin, TX 73301-0057