turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

COVID Stimulus Payment:(Please allow people who used Turbocard to change our Payment method to avoid having our stimulus payments delayed by having to receive it by mailed check

i used the prepaid card cause i didn't wnt bank info online but once i use all my money i toss the card so will my stimulas check be put on a card i don't have or will i receive a paper check  the treasure said that if your taxes was put on a prepaid card you will receive a paper check is this true

COVID Stimulus Payment:(Please allow people who used Turbocard to change our Payment method to avoid having our stimulus payments delayed by having to receive it by mailed check

@Flamikep wrote:

I'm glad through all the BS you decided to answer my question. If the account that the SBB opened to receive the funds from the IRS then take out the fees was closed after the process then the IRS will not be able to deposit it on turbocard. To remove all this confusion it would be much easier to tell your customers that have opted to use the turbocard for their refund that their stimulus will not be deposited on it for the above reason. 

You're still not getting it.  SBTPG still has the necessary information so that they could reopen that account, provided the IRS cooperated, and was legally willing.  The issue is not whether or not it is technically possible for the US Treasury and the banks to talk to each other to make it happen, the question is should they, and will they, and how will they address the hurdles, legal issues, and other challenges.

@Sunshine011 wrote:

i used the prepaid card cause i didn't wnt bank info online but once i use all my money i toss the card so will my stimulas check be put on a card i don't have or will i receive a paper check  the treasure said that if your taxes was put on a prepaid card you will receive a paper check is this true

The IRS now says this, as of 5pm yesterday:

The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

Your forgetting one thing also. My permission to do said reopening and transferring of funds. How would they manage getting everyone's permission. Why not just say no stimulus on these cards and eliminate all the hassle and questions that people with these cards have. 

The language of the care car is fairly clear if you read the update on this site. States as follows..." The stimulus payment will be sent to the direct deposit information listed on your tax return.".  The Turbo tax card is based in an actual bank. Mine was greendot which is a Federal banking institution. If you are still in possession of your card , check it. If it is active there should be no problem. You have already authorized the IRS to make a deposit there. However, if your card is no longer active I don't see a way around that. There will be a website to edit or change your info. Please be patient. I know that seems like an impossibility but it will happen.  Keep checking the web and keep safe

The direct deposit information for the turbocard and the direct deposit info for the bank that took out your filing fees are 2 different accounts. The IRS has the direct deposit info to the bank not to your card account. 

@Flamikep - 

Take comfort you will be receiving the stimulus money.  it will arrive in 4-5 week BY CHECK.  

If the IRS and the financial parties can work it out, you will be delighted that the money arrives in about 2-2.5 weeks. 

The last think you want is for your account to be the subject of fraud because the IRS and the financial institutions rushed a decision and an approach.   Then it will take months for your money to arrive.

Let it go.   

I believe my point is... The money got to the card the first time however it was received. The IRS will be looking to repeat that process because it is the simplest.

We don't want to say the money won't be deposited to the card because that may not be true.  For all we know, the IRS will specifically ask the banks to reopen the temporary accounts used for the card deposits.  We don't know if that's even possible for the banks.  Whatever they work out, the IRS will have to include some type of permission request in whatever portal they create for you to update bank information.  The IRS does not receive any permission to use your account information for a stimulus check.  These transactions that access any single piece of your information are very specifically identified in the permissions you give, so that's just another little piece that would have to be worked out.  We are unwilling to give out information we do not know to be true, such as whether the deposit can be put on your card or not.  The issues involved in getting your stimulus checks are actually quite complex because of banking privacy laws and access and practices devised to avoid fraud.  We will provide more detailed answers when we have them from the IRS.

Hello again! So I reviewed the payroll direct deposit on my debit card and the numbers are the same on both. The routing number for direct deposit and the account on my tax return. At this point I don't for see an issue.

Has there ever been a solid answer to whether or not it will go into the TurboTax prepaid card?

g9

I filed free version E-file on the 28th of this month. I have not used Turbo previously, and have no banking info on file. I did not owe any tax. Am on Social Security. Can I give you banking info for stimulus to the IRS?

The IRS is issuing the money. When you fill out your tax form you are giving permission per your routing number to deposit money. The Visa card is not a temporary card. I keep money online. It is simply a regular debit as if from ANY other bank. Anticipation is hell...

@Flamikep wrote:

Your forgetting one thing also. My permission to do said reopening and transferring of funds. How would they manage getting everyone's permission. Why not just say no stimulus on these cards and eliminate all the hassle and questions that people with these cards have. 

That would probably be best, for various reasons.  But the IRS have not said so specifically (yet).  What the IRS has said is, "If we do not have your DD info, we plan to set up a web site for you to use to give us your banking info." 

That is not the same as saying "We know who used SBTPG and we count them in the group that we don't have true DD info for."  But maybe it will be coming along eventually.  

@g9 wrote:

I filed free version E-file on the 28th of this month. I have not used Turbo previously, and have no banking info on file. I did not owe any tax. Am on Social Security. Can I give you banking info for stimulus to the IRS?

See this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

I am not typically required to file a tax return. Can I still receive my payment?

Yes. People who typically do not file a tax return will need to file a simple tax return to receive an economic impact payment. Low-income taxpayers, senior citizens, Social Security recipients, some veterans and individuals with disabilities who are otherwise not required to file a tax return will not owe tax.

How can I file the tax return needed to receive my economic impact payment?

IRS.gov/coronavirus will soon provide information instructing people in these groups on how to file a 2019 tax return with simple, but necessary, information including their filing status, number of dependents and direct deposit bank account information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies