Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

missbee6

Can I amend the return through TurboTax and have the changes “re-submitted” or do I need to use the snail mail process described in the IRS letter?

Received letter asking for 1095A info even though TurboTax initially told me it did not need to be entered. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Can I amend the return through TurboTax and have the changes “re-submitted” or do I need to use the snail mail process described in the IRS letter?

You don't need to enter a 1095B or C but you do have to enter a 1095A.
@TaxGuyBill right?

Correct.  The program tells you that you don't need to enter a 1095-B or 1095-C, but if you had told the program you had health insurance through the Healthcare Marketplace, it would have prompted you to enter a 1095-A.  You may have incorrectly said what type of health insurance you had.
missbee6

Thank you all for your prompt responses. I am confident I entered in the info correctly. My coverage was not through the federal or state marketplace and I did not receive APTC at any point in 2018. I will have to look at my forms again, but if 1095A is only for marketplace insurance, I think the IRS is erroneously requesting this info.

Yes, the 1095-A is only for Marketplace insurance.

Your first step should be to contact the Healthcare Marketplace to verify that they did not cover you.  If they confirm that you did not have insurance through the Marketplace, then respond to the IRS notice telling them that you did not have Marketplace insurance and called them to verify you did not have insurance through them.

If the Marketplace tells you that you DID have insurance, then you need to figure that out.  For example, if you are under age 26, your parent's may have bought it for you.  Or perhaps you had it in 2017 and they did not cancel your 2018 insurance in time, so they have you marked as being insurance for January.
missbee6

Thanks TaxGuyBill. As a former eligibility worker who knows she had NV Medicaid for the entirety of 2018 (and the tail end of 2017 as I moved to NV from CA in 2017), I know I was not covered through ACA/APTC funds and confirmed that by just logging into healthcare.gov; there are no tax docs. I’ll call the IRS Monday and get to the bottom of their request. Thanks again!

You may want to double check with Covered California as well, just in case they messed up.
missbee6

Ok! Thanks for the tip, I will double check with CCA too even though cancelling that plan/confirms was part of my “life event” 😕 Take Care! It will work out one way or the other; just an annoying inconvenience.

Sorry, no.  You can only mail it.

If the IRS is requesting form 8962 see https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6765257 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies