Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Clerical Error on W2 Entry caused additional tax on Medicare Tips

On my 2019 return, I mistakenly entered on box 12 a B (instead of a D) which resulted with assessed with huge additional tax on my 1040/Line 24 -Total Additional Medicare TaxWithholding.

I have no idea how to correct this, I can't figure out how to explain typographical entry on my W2 (my fault) within in the context of the 1040x amended return.  Could you let me know how to to this if you would?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You simply amend 2019, make the corrections and in the reason for amending simply say endeared box 12 code B instead of the correct D.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Well that's the point where I need clarification.  The incorrect Letter caused that amount to be included on my return.  So how do I 'back' it out / amend when I can't resubmit the W2 Info?  Do I just zero out the amount on the 1040 and schedules?

When you amend just return to the W-2 section and edit the W-2 that has the error and change it to the correct code.  That should result in a refund of any tax incurred because of the error.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies