Solved: Can the refund from a joint return be direct deposited to the checking account of the first person on the return? Or does it have to be to a joint account?

californiasteven

Can the refund from a joint return be direct deposited to the checking account of the first person on the return? Or does it have to be to a joint account?

CapB

When filing a Married Filing Joint (MFJ) return the IRS allows MFJ refunds to be direct deposited into accounts in your name, your spouse’s name or both (joint account).

However, rules vary by state and financial institution; to be sure, verify with your financial institution if they accept joint refunds into individual accounts.

CapB

californiasteven

Thanks.  The bank is Wells Fargo.  I will give it a try.  I understand that if the bank rejects it the IRS will mail a check.
CapB

Yes, if the bank will not deposit an IRS refund, the IRS will issue a check and mail it to the address on file.
Bdubtx44

Hey californiasteven... I'm in the same boat, did Wells Fargo Deposit it?
ksandman77

Any updates on this??
ksandman77

If anyone is ever wondering this for next year:
I'm primary on taxes and primary on checking. Wife is not on checking account.

Wells Fargo will deposit!
habibtiesra

Primary has to be on account or bank will reject it. It will take up to 3 months to receive check.. I’m going through same thing. Direct deposit date was 2/22 on 3/20 receive cp53a saying it will take 10 weeks for irs to research and a check will be mailed
babyjaxson

Does anyone know if Chase Bank Will? I and my mom are on the account, He is not. We are married but don't live together. will they let the check be deposited into my account?