turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I use cash app direct deposit for my refund on turbo tax ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

65 Replies

It's the IRS, not Turbotax, that pays refunds.

To use Direct Deposit, the account must have an ACH bank account number and routing number.  It must be a bank account somewhere, even if it uses an app or debit card to access it.  You will have to ask the provider if they qualify as a bank, and what your account number and routing numbers are.

In other words you have no idea and you shouldn’t even have answered this question… And that stupid website for the IRS Doesn’t tell you anything about whether or not You can use your Cash App account for your tax refund.

Yes you can use cash app for the tax refund deposit. As long as your account is under your real name and correct address. Any errors in information will hinder the direct deposit process. 

AT29
Level 1

yes!! this is great news!!!! cashapp has a routing number and account number for you to copy off of the app and paste the numbers wherever you need to insert that information. that's what I used as direct deposit info

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

As long as your direct deposit option has a routing number and a bank account number, you can use it for your refund. Please click the TurboTax Help links, listed below, to learn more. 

Which number on my check is the routing number?

Where do I enter my bank's routing or account number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hsensk01

Nooooo don’t use it! It’s way to easy for hackers to steal your money! Cash app is not secure enough! Just google it and you will see all the horror stories of people returns being stole because they used cash app and there isn’t anything you can do about it! I get my$ on a TurboTax card then make a new cash app account using my turbo tax debit card then send the $ to my normal account so it goes to my bank account! 

Cfizer89

What if my address is different on cash app card ? 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Having a different address on your cash app will not affect your refund being deposited. As long as your direct deposit option has a routing number, a bank account number, and your name matches, you can use it. Please click the TurboTax Help links, listed below, to learn more. 

Which number on my check is the routing number?

Where do I enter my bank's routing or account number?

The IRS needs to see something that looks like a "bank account."  The name and social security number of the taxpayer receiving the refund must match the name and SSN of the bank account owner, but the mailing address does not have to match.

I can't vouch for any specific cash app since I don't use them, but if you have a bank account number and ABA routing number, and if you had to provide your social security number to the app when you opened the account, then it will probably look like an acceptable bank account to the IRS.  You would have to verify this with the actual account provider if you aren't sure. 

Hahaha boss

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@brynicole15

No. Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ on IRS refund methods. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/what-are-the-different-options-for-getting-my-federal...

You most certainly can use cash app. Cash app is connected to a bank. This is how people are able to get direct deposit from their jobs. Having cash app is one of the closest ways to have a bank account without actually having one. Your social security number is involved to prevent fraud and also becauase they do direct deposit. You need a bank for that. Theirs is Lincoln Savings Bank . I dont know what half of these people are saying. @Opus 17   looks like he tried his best to help he wasn't wrong but he has no idea you mean the app CASH APP and not just any cash app and @SForrestLO  just said no flat out. You are also incorrect. Its like they have no Idea what cash app is. So why answer question. Cant direct deposit without a bank. Put it this way. If your job can deposit money into your cash app account, so can the IRS 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If Cash app can generate a routing and account number then you can use that information for your direct deposit.

gisaac22

Hi I was wondering can I use cash app to direct deposit my tax refund I had already selected a different bank but later found out that my account was shut down and I wasn’t exactly told why so I would like to change the bank info 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies