Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Can I redo my 2014 & 2015 taxes

I did not get the American  Opportunity Tax Credit applied when I did attend college these two years and no one else could claim me as a dependent. My turbo tax never asked me.
1 Reply
New Member

Can I redo my 2014 & 2015 taxes

You are able to prepare amended returns for 2014 and 2015 to claim the tax credit not claimed on your original returns.

If you used a desktop version of TurboTax software for your 2014 and 2015 returns, you will be able to prepare your amended return from that software.  If you used TurboTax online (Deluxe version or higher), you will be able to get the download at no additional charge with your .tax file from that year.

You can find TurboTax software from previous years at

The article below has specific amendment instructions for 2014 and 2015:

When you have prepared your amended return and are ready to mail Form 1040-X you should include the following forms:

  • Form 1040-X
  • The new (amended) Form 1040
  • Any forms or schedules that were added or changed as a result of preparing the amendment

Please note that 1040-X cannot be e-filed - you will need to mail a paper return.  It takes the IRS at least 2 - 3 months (and sometime up to 6 months) to process amended returns.  Also, depending on whether the changes affect your numbers, you may also be required to file an amended return with your state.  

The mailing address for you state and situation can be found at  Look under Where to File on page 14.  
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings