Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aztecwarrior361

Can I include the cost of driving my car to texas from california and subsequently flying back to california due PCSing to Japan and having our car cared for in TX?

The military did not reimburse for this trip. I PCS'd from California to Japan and was not able to take my car.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Can I include the cost of driving my car to texas from california and subsequently flying back to california due PCSing to Japan and having our car cared for in TX?

According to IRS Publication 521 on Moving Expenses:

Moving goods and effects to and from storage.   You can deduct the reasonable expenses of moving your personal effects to and from storage.

It sounds like this would apply to your car, even if it's not placed in a formal storage unit.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

According to IRS Publication 521 on Moving Expenses:

Moving goods and effects to and from storage.   You can deduct the reasonable expenses of moving your personal effects to and from storage.

It sounds like this would apply to your car, even if it's not placed in a formal storage unit.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.49m
Members

2.63m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v