Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tigriss1

Can I find out what the penalty and interest is? Turbotax was supposed to pay my Federal Taxes from my State refund, but they did not and I received the entire refund?

I paid the Federal amount today when I saw the error, but it should have been paid on 4/15/24. How do I pay the late penalty for paying late?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Can I find out what the penalty and interest is? Turbotax was supposed to pay my Federal Taxes from my State refund, but they did not and I received the entire refund?

The IRS will send you a bill for the penalty and interest, if any.

You misunderstood something. There is no way to pay your federal tax due from your state refund. The federal and state taxes are completely separate.

After the IRS receives the tax payment they will send you a bill in the mail for any penalties and interest.

Sorry you misunderstood. You can never have a tax due deducted from a refund.  Federal and state are completely separate.  You will still get the full refund and have to pay the full tax due yourself. Turbo Tax just showed you a screen at the end combining federal and state . But that was only for your own info. Look at the instruction sheets that print out for how you selected to pay a tax due.

tigriss1

By the time I get a letter from the IRS, the interest and penalties will be outrages, so I want to pay now. Do you know any secrets as to how I can reach the IRS?  I have called the IRS @ 800-829-1040 in the AM & PM, but I can never get through.  Thank you,

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The penalty and interest stop accruing once you have paid the tax. The penalty and interest will be based on the date that you paid the tax. There will be no additional penalty or interest as long as you pay by the date in the letter. So just wait for the bill and don't make yourself crazy over it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies