Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I fill out Form 1040X for 2019 on TurboTax? I need to take my son off 2019 as a dependant.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Can I fill out Form 1040X for 2019 on TurboTax? I need to take my son off 2019 as a dependant.

How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

You can amend e-filed returns if they've been accepted; paper-filed returns may be amended once they've been mailed.

If your e-file is still pending, you won't be able to make changes until the IRS either accepts or rejects it. Don't know your e-file status? Here's how to look it up.

Select your tax year for amending instructions:

what prompts you to want to remove him? 

are you doing that to get the stimulus for him ?????? that is not the right approach if so

if your son CAN BE claimed, even he was not claimed, he is still not eligible for the stimulus.

Good morning, thanks for your reply. Please clarify why would my son not be eligible for the stimulus if 2019 is reclassified as an independent? 

you will be doing alot of work for nothing.... there is an easier approach! 

First, CAN you claim your son as a dependent in  2020?  Whether you do or not is immaterial.  You always have the option to claim him, but whether you do or not, your son has to answer on his tax return if someone CAN claim him and if someone CAN claim him, he is not eligible for the stimulus. 

(and for 2019 if you now want to remove your son as a dependent because he was truly not a dependent in 2019, that is the right thing to do but be prepared for the 1040X to say you owe the IRS $500.)

The way the stimulus REALLY works is EVERYTHING is based on your (or your son's in his case)  2020 income, filing status and number of children under the age of 17. What these numbers were in 2018 and 2019 does not matter and that is why filing an amendment for 2019 for the sole purpose of obtaining the stimulus is nto the way to correct this!

The IRS will calculate your stimulus based on 2020 numbers; that is what is considered the ACTUAL.

The two payments were just ESTIMATES

if the ACTUAL is greater than the ESTIMATE, you will receive that amount as a credit on your 2020 tax return.

if the ESTIMATE is greater than the ACTUAL, you are not required to return the money nor does it impact your refund. Line 30 on Form 1040 will be zero.

so if your son is truly not a dependent of yours in 2020, all he has to do is complete his 2020 tax return and whatever money he is due for stimulus will appear on Line 30 as a tax credit, increasing his refund (or reducing what he owes).  His ESTIMATE is zero (no payments) and his ACTUAL is presumably $1800.

Does that help?

Thank you for the time to respond to my question. It is now clear that 2020 tax returns will be the final calculation of the refund. Very clear.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies