Can I begin my return filing as one status then once I see how much I will get back at the end can I not file that way and go back and file as a different status?

Like what status?  You usually don't have a choice.  Are you married and want to compare Joint to MFS?

To compare Joint to MFS.  If you are using the Online version, do NOT change anything on your return.  You would have to start with a new account and do a test return.  You don't have to pay unless you want to print it out.  So you might need 3 accounts, one for Joint and two MFS, one for each spouse.

How to Compare Joint to Married Filing Separately

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/married/help/how-can-we-compare-married-filing-jointly-with-marrie...

How to start another return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

Please explain exactly what you are trying to do.  Which two filing statuses are you trying to compare?  We cannot answer unless we know what you are doing.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing