Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I amend my taxes if I chose the wrong pulldown menu letter code in Section 12 of my W-2? I chose A instead of D, which makes it look like I owe taxes when I don't.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Can I amend my taxes if I chose the wrong pulldown menu letter code in Section 12 of my W-2? I chose A instead of D, which makes it look like I owe taxes when I don't.

It's on your W-2, so go to Personal Income or Wages & Income->Wages and Salaries->Wages and Salaries, and select the W-2 you want to work on.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should amend your tax return.

Code A means Uncollected social security or RRTA tax on tips reported to your employer.

Code D means  Contributions to your 401(k) plan (including a simple 401(k) plan).

Please see this TurboTax article for instructions on how to amend your tax return in TurboTax.

I'm trying to go back on this website to amend my tax return, but I can't find the section with the drop down menu to choose the letter in 12a-12d anywhere.

Actually I should have chose DD, which is nontaxable.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

It's on your W-2, so go to Personal Income or Wages & Income->Wages and Salaries->Wages and Salaries, and select the W-2 you want to work on.

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Just to add some information about amending a previously filed return, before amending your return you will need to wait until such return has been accepted by the IRS.  You can amend a return only after it has been filed and accepted by the IRS.  E-filed returns are considered filed when you have received notice from the government that your return has been accepted.  If your return has been rejected, it is not considered filed.

Mailed returns are considered filed the date you post your return.

When you are ready to amend, you can access your previously filed return, in TurboTax online, from the TurboTax home page.  Scroll down the screen to the section Your tax return & documents.  If you have used TurboTax CD/download, then you can amend your previously filed return by selecting Other Tax Situations, and then scroll down to Other Tax Forms

Here is a link to a TurboTax article that explains in greater detail the process to amend a previously filed return.  How to Amend my Federal Tax Return for a Prior Year

@brennannancy-bel 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies