turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DLH15

Can I amend my Federal return to include an injured spouse form?

Can I amend my Federal return to include an injured spouse form? I didn't realize we could include those with our initial filing. Two years ago, all of our return was taken for student loan debt, but last year we had to pay. I haven't worked the past year but just assumed we would have to pay again. But we are getting a return, and I am sure they will keep his portion of return. Should I just wait until we're notified that they kept it?"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

You can amend your return to include the Injured Spouse Form 8379, but that form can also be filed on its own without requiring an amended return. 

For more information and instructions from the IRS regarding the Injured Spouse Form 8379, click here.

Also, see the information below for information about how to complete the Injured Spouse form within TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3326788

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

You can amend your return to include the Injured Spouse Form 8379, but that form can also be filed on its own without requiring an amended return. 

For more information and instructions from the IRS regarding the Injured Spouse Form 8379, click here.

Also, see the information below for information about how to complete the Injured Spouse form within TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3326788

wmarzan

I was not aware there will be an 11 - 14 week delay in getting my tax return?

wmarzan

Can I remove the 8379 from my tax return?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

If you haven't filed your return yet, you can remove Form 8379 from your return by following these steps:

TurboTax Online

1. While in your return, click on Tax Tools > Tools (in the black bar at the side of your screen).  
  2. In the Tools Center, under Other helpful links click on Delete a form.
  3. Click Delete next to the form you want to delete and follow the onscreen instructions. 
  4. Once you have finished deleting the desired form(s) click the Continue with My Return box (in the lower right of your screen).

TurboTax CD/Download

1. Go into Forms Mode by clicking on the Forms icon in the top right of the blue bar
  2. In the Forms in My Return list on the left, click on the form you wish to open and delete.
  3. Click on the Delete Form box at the bottom of the screen.
  4. To return to the interview, click on the Step-By-Step icon in the top right of the blue bar.  

You can file Form 8379 by itself.  See the form instructions for guidance by clicking here:  Form 8379 instructions

@wmarzan

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies