tpines

Can I amend my federal return ONLY (not state) on TurboTax?

The change I'm making does not affect my state return. I do not want to amend my state return. TurboTax gives unclear instructions for how to do this.

First amend the fed then simply skip the state section. In the FILE tab only choose to efile or mail in the fed amended return. 

If there is no change to the state tax return then there is no need to amend the state return.  After you have completed the federal amended return go to the File section of the program and e-file the 2021 amended federal tax return.

tpines

I can't seem to find the FILE tab for the life of me. Based on my Google search, it sounds like I'm not the only one having this issue. Could you please help?

@tpines wrote:

Using the TurboTax online editions, Click on File on the left side of the online program screen.

Left Column TTO.JPG

tpines

Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 2.22.43 PM.png

We must have different versions of TurboTax... I cannot get "file" to pop up on the left.

Ok ... you are not IN the return ... to get back in click on the amend  option.  Once in the return you will see the other menu will be available. 

Ok ... did you efile the original return using this TT account ?   If you did not then you can only mail in the amended return. Once you have completed the amendment interview and there are no more issues to correct the option to print the return for mailing will be presented : 

1.jpg

tpines

Thanks for the response! This is the menu I get when in the return (I hit the amend option and have been filling in the information). And yes, I did file the original return on TurboTax. I'm not sure why I'm not getting all of the menu options on the left. 

You will not ... they have changed the amendment system recently it seems. 

Mike9241

@Critter-3 is the online different than the desktop? since much of the data for state returns comes from the federal inputs wouldn't certain federal changes for the amended carry to the state?  I realize for amended you can choose to e-file the federal but not state and certain federal changes will only affect the federal. but is there a way to stop federal changes that would also change the state from doing so?