turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bum scoop from Turbo Tax Online

Made an error in submitted 2023 NY State Tax Return (as e-filed), where the 2023 NY state withholding tax from a traditional IRA (RMD) was improperly entered as $0.00.  The original return was accepted with the zeroed withholding, but my refund was of course short the state witholding tax as properly done in Aug 2023.  Attempted a Turbo Tax Ammended NY State Return and attempted a mail-in option vs e-file.  Turbo Tax Online incorrectly reports that an e-filed original return amendment can not be mailed in, the amended return must be e-filed due to NY State law.  This is untrue... a phone call to NY State Tax (State Processing Center in Albany, NY) said an amended NY State return can be mailed in... call NY State Tax & Finance for verification [phone number removed].         

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Are you still experiencing this problem?

Make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

If you still are not able to solve this, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

As stated in the original input, TT Online is what we use for >6 years.  I've worked with 3 different Turbo Tax Experts on the identical problem without a good resolution, the error the must be "fixed" is detected and reported by TT in the final step (e-filing), after both fed and state returns have been final checked with no errors found.    In 2022 the resolution was (after much unsuccessfully "easter-egging" -- with multiple deletes and re-entering)  was to go back to the federal return, delete the problem 1099-R that was originally imported, add a new 1099 and enter all 1099 data manually.  Obviously, this problem was in the original Fidelity 1099 to TT Online import function.  The issue is very clearly a problem in TT Online software import forms function, in my case the 1099 is from Fidelity, but I've seen others report similar import issues from various finacial activities including Schuab, Morgan Stanley, etc., etc.  One last time... the import problem experienced appears to be present in multiple TT tax prep platforms (online, standalon, etc.).  

My experienced-based advice to Turbo Tax higher software coders -- research and fix the multiple issues in  TT Online (and in other TT versions as well) with importing tax forms like 1099 from other financial activiites into TT software.  You have a software problem with importing and the errors TT detects are in my case seem to be the only error.  A simultaneous review in basic TT error detection needs to be reviewed and troubleshot by competent 2nd /3rd level coders.  Reporting an error(s) that is/are not error(s) is very likely some fundamental bug in TT software... likely found in some ridid, unnecessary, perhaps super sensitive quality check done by TT. 

Lastly, I say again:  This advisory message TT Online presents is untrue... and I paraphrase here: In accordance with NY State law, amended returns that were origianlly e-filed can not be mailed-in... amended returns that were origianlly e-filed must also be e-filed.  Call NY State Tax and Finance tp verify.                       

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies