turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Anyone else need help with finding the Form 15111? Got a notice to fill out and return the form to the IRS because I'm eligible for EIC but didn't claim it?

OK ...  I may have an idea as to why this happened ... if you had unemployment on your return AND you did not exclude it  THEN when the IRS corrected the return to give you the unemployment exclusion your income is now low enough to get the credit that was NOT included on the original return.   SO  to get the credit the IRS requires you to now fill in the EIC form so it can be added to your return when they FINALLY process it.   This is NOT anyone's error if you filed before the exclusion was signed into law .... the IRS is making this stuff up as they go which is why the form 15111 was not known about until they put it into service recently(note the date on the form March of 2021).   Everyone should be happy the IRS is catching this and not forcing folks to amend their returns since many folks would never know they were able to amend for the credit ... they are being proactive for a change.  

PS ... if you take a look at the 15111 and the EIC forms they provide the same info and the ability to sign the form so you can file it by itself as an addendum to the return ... no amendment needed.  

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sei.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f15111.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp09-notice

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit-eitc

ADM1
Level 3

Anyone else need help with finding the Form 15111? Got a notice to fill out and return the form to the IRS because I'm eligible for EIC but didn't claim it?

I didn't collect unemployment and have received EIC for years.  Never had a problem with TurboTax but this year it didn't add it for some reason.  Now I'm waiting for my money.   

If the program didn't add it then it was due to the information you entered ... either your income was too high, or not the right kind of income or it was something in the MY INFO section when you entered the kids.  Review your return ... open the account by scrolling down and clicking on ADD A STATE  then go to the Deductions & Credits section ... review the EIC section ... see if you get the message of why you don't get the EIC. 

shopper735
Returning Member

There is a form 15111 its on the IRS web site.

Yes there is a form 15111  however it is not part of the income tax return and is not included in the TT program.   That is a new form made for one specific reason and used by the IRS to inquire more information from the taxpayer in order to complete the processing of the filed tax return. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The IRS is requesting information to help you determine if you are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).  Enter the information requested to find your result then use the following information for assistance with your specific details. Use the return envelope that came with the notice. Details about completing this form and the necessary worksheet can be found below.

• If the worksheet confirms you’re eligible for the credit,

• Sign and date the Form 15111

• Mail the signed worksheet in the envelope provided with your notice.

• If you're not eligible for the credit,

• Do not return the Form 15111 to us.

• IRS Publication 596 may be of assistance when completing the EIC worksheet.

As @Critter-3 indicated this is not part of the tax return and must be completed and filed by itself.

For the current year, TurboTax will walk you through the EIC to see if you qualify and automatically included it if you are eligible.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies