turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I amended my 2017 return after beginning my 2018 return. Will the amended data from 2017 auto-update into the 2018 return?

I amended my 2017 return with information that did not alter my payment or refund.  (I mistakenly omitted rental income data that do not exceed losses).  I discovered this error after starting my 2018 return in TurboTax (it told me that I had collected $0 income from the relevant unit).  I will file an amended return to the feds and state.  However, I want to ensure that TT2018 and subsequent years correctly calculate losses pulled forward from previous years.  When I relaunched TT2018 after amending my 2017 return, it did not appear to have pulled the correct data forward from the amended 2017 file.  What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

I amended my 2017 return after beginning my 2018 return. Will the amended data from 2017 auto-update into the 2018 return?

It appears that TurboTax is incapable of importing data from the previous year unless it is the first thing you do when starting a return.  This is a serious deficiency that needs to be fixed in a later release.  If we can import data from QuickBooks and Quicken repeatedly, why shouldn't we be able to do the same from TurboTax?

It has been this way for years.

And somehow that makes it OK?  This is a serious problem that could be fixed easily.

Why would you want to wait to transfer from the previous year's return until you had already made entries on your current year return?

Perhaps you didn't read thoroughly.  This happens when you amend a return.  It could be months or years after you start your next year return.  

If TurboTax was interested in correcting this problem, all they would need to do it add TurboTax to the list of software applications from which importing is allowed.  Simple.

You're right. I did not reread your question. I apologize for the question in my comment that was answered in your first post.

Right now I'm nearly ready to transmit my 2018 return, but there are two changes in my amended 2017 return that I can't convince TT to bring forward.   I am afraid I will have to scrap the 2018 and start over.
 That will be very painful.

You can manually enter them on the form. You may need to search for the information source for the line you need to enter them on.

I thought of that.  But, there are things out there that I don't feel comfortable messing with manually, like MACRS and retirement account basis.   Thanks for your help.  This is really just me complaining that I have to do things the hard way.   Maybe in the next release?  We can only dream.

I have a similar problem.  Turbo tax pulled an earlier version of the 2017 return, not the amended one.   Are you serious that I need to start from scratch????  Argh!!

You must transfer the amended 2017 return to your 2018 return before you start entering any information on your 2018 return. If you didn't do that, you would need to start over with a new 2018 return and make the transfer. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies