Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is a college EIN and how do I get that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindaA
Expert Alumni

An EIN (employer identification number) is also called a federal identification number. It is similar to a Social Security number for an individual. If you received a Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, it should include the federal identification number for the college (click the screenshot below for reference). Otherwise, try contacting your school's financial aid department to ask for their EIN.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

An EIN (employer identification number) is also called a federal identification number. It is similar to a Social Security number for an individual. If you received a Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, it should include the federal identification number for the college (click the screenshot below for reference). Otherwise, try contacting your school's financial aid department to ask for their EIN.

domilito

I'm inputting the federal tax ID number from my 1098-T, but still getting an error when I go to continue.
NMA

My university in Australia does not have an EIN and will not file for one. The IRS is not accepting the information on Form 8863 without the EIN. Any suggestions?

my college never sent me a 1098 t and now the school is closed down...how else can i get there in

Question 20 on the IRS Education Credit Link declares that you still can claim the credit if the school closed and you didn't receive a 1098-T. 

In Turbo Tax, declare that you didn't receive a 1098-T. They will ask for a FEIN. Enter a random 9 digit number. You will not be able to electronically file, but you will be guided on how to mail in the tax return once you get to that step. Along with the return, you will have to include verification of the expenses. Use the link to figure what steps you will need to take.

Decarde

Fau

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

We'd love to help you complete your tax return, but need more information. Can you please clarify your question?

Do you have a question?

Keep in mind, we can't see your tax data, so you need to provide details to get a helpful answer. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies