cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a college EIN and how do I get that?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 10

An EIN (employer identification number) is also called a federal identification number. It is similar to a Social Security number for an individual. If you received a Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, it should include the federal identification number for the college (click the screenshot below for reference). Otherwise, try contacting your school's financial aid department to ask for their EIN.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 10

An EIN (employer identification number) is also called a federal identification number. It is similar to a Social Security number for an individual. If you received a Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, it should include the federal identification number for the college (click the screenshot below for reference). Otherwise, try contacting your school's financial aid department to ask for their EIN.

View solution in original post

I'm inputting the federal tax ID number from my 1098-T, but still getting an error when I go to continue.
NMA

My university in Australia does not have an EIN and will not file for one. The IRS is not accepting the information on Form 8863 without the EIN. Any suggestions?