turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

saraidenae2676
Returning Member

Ammended return

I amended my taxes because of the $10,000 unemployment deduction, and Turbo Tax told me I qualified for some new child tax credits. My amended return status on 'Where's my amended return?' says that it is accepted but it hasn't changed to adjusted yet. It's been 12 weeks, and today I received a direct deposit of $900 when Turbo Tax said I would receive $2,252. I haven't gotten a letter, and don't know what to do or how to find out why it is $900 and not the full amount? Initially, I only received $71 back in taxes.   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Ammended return

Ok...  

First ... you should have gotten the original refund.

Next ... the IRS is automatically recalculating the return for the unemployment exclusion. 

Then ... eventually the amended return will be processed and any further refund will arrive ... sadly this process may take 6 months or longer and all you can to is wait and check the IRS site once a week for a progress report.  It is also possible the return could be sent back to you if the column A is not the same as the automatically corrected IRS amounts which is the downside of filing a 1040X while the IRS is still processing the original return ... it will be interesting how they will handle this influx of early incorrect amended returns.

saraidenae2676
Returning Member

Ammended return

Yes.... I only amended because they said that if you qualify for credits you didn't qualify for before then you would need to amend. And also, what original refund are you referring to?

Ammended return

Ok ... yes you may have needed to amend  to get credits not already reported on the original return  HOWEVER you should never amend a return until the IRS has finished processing it.  The first thing you are asked when you start the amendment process is if you already got the original refund ... if you say no the program tells you to wait.   

For those  whose original return had  unemployment payments on them the IRS is automatically fixing them and sending the balance of the refund based on the change.   This very unique tax  year you could actually get 3 separate payments  as the return is processed 3 times ... the original refund, the corrected refund and finally the amended refund. 

saraidenae2676
Returning Member

Ammended return

I filed the first time and did receive back money... it was under $200. Which means yes, it was processed successfully before I amended. 😕 And oh ok, makes sense.... Do you think I should try to call? Or just wait until it says fully adjusted on the Where's my amendment tool?

Ammended return

All you can do is wait until the smoke clears.   And since the IRS was making a correction to the original return you should have waited until the return was recalculated  and not just the filed return ... this is a very unusual situation this year and hopefully congress will not let it happen again. 

hopey71
Returning Member

Ammended return

So I shouldn't wait either?  I should go in and amend my tax return too?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies