Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending 1099DIV after receiving tax refund using Turbotax Software

I just filed tax return using Turbotax Premier 2021 Desktop software (mac) and got the tax refund from IRS. Then I realized that I might forget to add a 1099DIV form. I choose the "Amend a return (make changes) after it was filed and accepted by IRS"  option after opening Turbotax desktop. However I'm not sure if I need to update my W-2 here. Ideally I should only check on "I need to change(amend) my return for a different reason" and update "Wages & Income" section for my 1099DIV . But if I don't update W2 I will not get any "Original amount"on my generated 1040X form. Also all my person info is gone, so I don't see any personal info printed on my 1040X other than some numbers on "B. Net change" column. Do I need to import my previous tax return or I need to do something else? 

Thank you

note:

My software looks like this, and I got confused on how to use it for amend. Not able to find similar question on this forum and not able to talk to any representative either since I'm not using the online version.

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 5.32.05 PM.png

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@ning43  You will only change the things that are different.  TurboTax will carry over all of the numbers from your original return that are necessary including the ones from your W2.  All you have to do is click the update next to the 1099-DIV and add the new one in.  Then it will update everything and you'll be all set.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Expert RobertB4444, thanks for your reply.

I tried this twice, however if I only enter things that are different (1099DIV section, which can be found under "I need to change(amend) my return for a different reason" in "Wages & Income" section) and leave everything else empty (or select "no" for w2 and so), then I will see original amount of Adjusted gross income as 0, and no names/SSN/filing status shown on form 1040X. Is this expected?

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 9.36.38 PM.png

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

No. If Form 1040X is blank it means you have not started the amend process.

1. Click on Forms in the top left to access the Forms mode.
  2. Tap Form 1040-X in the left column
  3. Select 2021 in the Amendment Year Tax Worksheet to populate the form
  4. Tap EasyStep in the top left to get back to the interview mode

Hi Expert ErnieS0,

Thanks for your reply. I believe that my Form 1040X is not blank and I have started the amend process. My issue is, only Net change is not blank, but all my personal info and original amount (before amending) is missing. 

To double check, I also tried your steps again with a completely new session of tax return amend (to make sure Form 1040-X is completely blank before I do any amend):

1. Click on Forms in the top left to access the Forms mode.
  2. Tap Form 1040-X in the left column
  3. Select 2021 in the Amendment Year Tax Worksheet (check on 2021 box)
  4. Tap EasyStep in the top left to get back to the interview mode, and fill out 1099DIV section. Skip or answer no to all other sections.

However after that I got same result. The only error I got is that the software kept saying finding some error during smart check, where I need to enter my filing status. I already entered but still same error. Despite this, I'm still able to click "done" and print my form.

But for blank personal info and original amount, do you know anything is wrong here?

Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 12.35.03 PM.png

(See in this form, 1B is not blank)

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

The Form 1040X does not seem right. You screen shot doesn't show all three columns. However if the personal info is not populating I'm unsure what else is not transferring.

I suggest creating a second tax file of your return. In the new file, remove any changes and delete the amended return and start the process again. If you have the original tax file, try amending again and see it everything is still blank. If you're getting the same result, you can cancel that one.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies