turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended Tax

So, I did a paper return for my 2020 taxes, but I realized I never sent them to the IRS. By this time, I also had noticed a mistake on my return so I amended it, and then sent in the amended return. However, I never sent the original return in with my signature. It’s been 2 months since I sent my amended return and it won’t show up on my “Where’s My Amended Return?”. I have tried to contact the IRS but I always get transferred to a line that is always busy. What should I do? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Amended Tax

Did you get back INTO the account ...  log in and scroll down and click on ADD A STATE  and continue then that option should be on the left.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Amended Tax

You cannot amend a return when you never sent in the original.  You will need to send in the original and to send it by mail where you get a receipt.

Amended Tax

So I should redo my taxes?

Amended Tax

You should be able to just efile the original return.  Or print, sign, and mail it with mail service that will give you a receipt when it is received.  The amend will be discarded because there is no original return to amend.

Amended Tax

I attempted to access the original return to print it, but it only allows me to print the amended return. So, I should just file another original return? 

Amended Tax

Create a new login and start over with.  Then file an original return.  If you paid for the software, contact the helpdesk to see if they have any suggestions.  I think they may give you a code to make the second return free.

Amended Tax

WAIT  !!!!

Since the return is now complete all you have to do is remove the 1040X  and leave the changes ... then you can efile the return. 

You should click "Cancel Amendment" on the left side of your screen.  

Next, follow these steps to refile your returns:

• Click "File" from the left side of your screen
  • Go to Step 3 (if needed, revisit Steps 1 and/or 2 to activate Step 3).
  • Proceed, and make sure you've selected the option "I want to E-file"
  • Continue through until you get to and choose "Transmit My Returns Now"

Amended Tax

It does not allow me to Cancel the Amendment. 

Amended Tax

do you mean it won't cancel?

or you can't find the Cancel command?

Amended Tax

Did you get back INTO the account ...  log in and scroll down and click on ADD A STATE  and continue then that option should be on the left.

Amended Tax

Thank you so much that seemed to do the trick! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies