Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended return rejected. FPYMT-071-01 - 'RequestedPaymentDt' must not be 5 days prior

A form arrived late so i had to amend my 2023 return to add it and owe a small amount on the federal return from the additional income. I e-filed the amendment and picked to have the money withdrawn today March 4th.

The IRS rejected the amendment with following error code:

FPYMT-071-01 - 'RequestedPaymentDt' in the IRS Payment Record must not be more than 5 days prior to the received date.

I went through and double checked everywhere in the wizard and it seems the date for the new payment is March 4th.  I filed it and it was again rejected with the same error.  Any idea what is wrong here, seems like a bug in turbotax to me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Amended return rejected. FPYMT-071-01 - 'RequestedPaymentDt' must not be 5 days prior

I had this issue, but I resolved it as follows:

After TT processes the amended 1040 there's a screen of the three sections that shows the TT receipt info.

The middle section is the IRS payment section. Select REVIST and enter the payment date there according to the suggested range. Follow the prompts and file the return.

When I did this before I only entered the payment when TT prompted me to do so after the final review. It seems to me this might be a TT bug because the date is not correctly transferred to the amended form unless it's entered by revisiting the IRS payment section as described above.

@mikemathieson @MarilynG1 @CatinaT1 

View solution in original post

17 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I had already spoken to support twice before I created the post.  They don't really understand what is causing the error.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

I would try picking a date closer to April 15th for your payment date.  Have you already received your Refund from your original return?   If not, wait until you do before sending in an amended return.  You have up to three years to amend a return. 

An Amended Return does not 'catch up' to your original filed return and correct it.

It is processed separately and can take several weeks to process.

@mikemathieson 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Can you even pay the tax due by direct debit?  I didn't think you could on an Amended return.    You can pay when you want directly online.  

https://www.irs.gov/payments

I have the same FPYMT-071-01 rejection notice when amending my 2023 1040 return.

I tried the transmittal date and different subsequent dates, but each time it was rejected with the FPYMT-071-01 notice.

Any update on this issue?

@CatinaT1 @MarilynG1 

UDATE: I checked the online IRS account. It shows a payment for the original 2023 return 02/28/24, so it seems that the IRS has processed the original return.

I haven't tried to submit it again yet figured maybe waiting a bit and then trying again might work.  I'll check my status on the IRS website as well and see what it looks like and get back to you.

I had this issue, but I resolved it as follows:

After TT processes the amended 1040 there's a screen of the three sections that shows the TT receipt info.

The middle section is the IRS payment section. Select REVIST and enter the payment date there according to the suggested range. Follow the prompts and file the return.

When I did this before I only entered the payment when TT prompted me to do so after the final review. It seems to me this might be a TT bug because the date is not correctly transferred to the amended form unless it's entered by revisiting the IRS payment section as described above.

I didn't see the exact screen you saw that had the receipt info but I tried to amend my return and got some different behavior this time.  It prompted me that the payment date was wrong with a wizard that had a textbox and the preview of the section of the 1040 at the bottom.  I noticed when I filled out the first textbox with today's date it did not change the date in the 1040 section.  I then was able to type into the box there as well and the return seems to have been accepted by the IRS now.  Thanks.

Yes, your experience was similar to mine. The payment date is not being correctly transferred from the "wizard" and thus requires the user to enter it "manually."

Glad I helped you and thank you for the acknowledgement.

legershen

I'm getting the same error. Do you go into "Forms" on the top right and click on 1040X or 1040? I don't see a date anywhere there.  Can you please direct me to exactly what I should do?

legershen

I'm getting the same error. Do you go into "Forms" on the top right and click on 1040X or 1040? I don't see a date anywhere there.  Can you please direct me to exactly what I should do? I'm using TT Deluxe.

@legershen wrote:

I'm getting the same error. Do you go into "Forms" on the top right and click on 1040X or 1040? I don't see a date anywhere there.  Can you please direct me to exactly what I should do?

I don't recall doing that. Is TT prompting you to correct the date? If yes, I think you enter it on the 1040, but I can't say for sure. Sorry I can't be more helpful with that.

@legershen 

legershen

No, it is claiming everything is good.  perhaps it is because I am using the desktop version.  another person said the following, which I don't know if it would work for me:

1. Open your return.
  2. Select the Forms icon in the upper right corner.
  3. Highlight Info Wks in the list on the left.
  4. Scroll down to Part V, you can change the date here. 
  5. Select Step-by-Step to return to the interview and complete your filing. 
fac1012
Returning Member

Hi

Thanks for posting this. I

I owe the both IRS and CA state. I've scheduled those payments to be withdrawn from my account on 4/13/24. 

-

Later, I unexpectedly received a K-1. I now owe a few extra $$ to both IRS and CA. I filed the amended return and CA accepted it, but not IRS. I'm getting the same FPYMT-071-01error. I saw your directions, but when I go through the amended return I do not see a REVIST button anywhere.  Any idea what I'm missing?

John 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies