turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oct 16 is the IRS deadline–file confidently with expert help. File Now
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended return amount

I filed my return and the IRS said they needed to see my Schedule SE (Turbotax said it wasn't necessary when I filed). I faxed it to them and got a successful fax receipt, but for whatever reason they said they never received it, so the refund amount was set to 0 and the return was completed according to their message. 

I want to correct that, but when I try an amended return, the form assumes I already received the refund amount on my original filing. I don't know if this is clear, but if I file an amended return will the IRS only refund based on what the 1040x says should be the additional payment, or will they pay the full refund amount since they never refunded anything to begin with?

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Our digital assistant can help you.
3 Replies

Amended return amount

IRS will correct your 1040-X if your form shows a "mis-calculation".

That's why it takes so long to process.

It helps if you show the correct amounts on lines 15-23.



Amended return amount

By miscalculation, do you mean that the IRS will adjust the amended return to use 1040X line 15, which lists the original refund amount I never got, or will they just calculate the refund based on line 22, which shows the refund amount difference (which is nothing because I'm not changing anything on the return, just trying to get them to acknowledge receipt of all necessary forms)?


I'm not sure how to simplify my question, I'm just trying to make sure that by filing an amended return I'm going to get the original refund amount the IRS never paid, I'm worried that they won't check the 1040X original payment against their records and realize what happened. 

Amended return amount

 the refund amount was set to 0 "


Your 1040-X Line 18 should show -0- where it says "or as previously adjusted by the IRS".



message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies