dgjtools

Amended Return - $10,800 Unemployment Tax Credit

I efiled an amended federal 2020 return in the beginning of April 2021 for three reasons:  (1) a missed W2, (2) $10,800 Unemployment Tax credit, and (3) a missed Education Credit.  According to "where's my amended return," the amended return has been received, adjusted and completed.  However, the correspondence and refund that I received is only for the Unemployment Tax Credit.  They made no adjustments for the missed W2 or the missed Education Credit.  These two add up to about a $1,000 refund.  I'm not sure what I should do next. Wait? or File another amended return?

WAIT----do not jump the gun.    It has been taking the IRS about six months to process amended returns--so it would be kind of surprising if they are really done with an amended return you sent in April.   (And by the way---the amount of unemployment not subject to federal tax is $10, 200 )    Wait until you actually receive the refund.  When the IRS sends a refund for an amended return they send a check via first class mail to the address on your tax return.

dgjtools

The refund for the unemployment tax credit was direct deposited  and the letter/notice I received says nothing about an amended return.  It just says that my 2020 form 1040 was adjusted to correct  your unemployment compensation.