Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RCK
Level 3

Amended 2020 return for two changes (Unemployment + Capital Gains); but IRS adjusted only Unemployment

May be a timeline view might be better to explain my scenario.

• 2021 February/March: Filed returns, and we owed IRS and we paid the amount. This included Unemployment my wife received.
  • 2021 April: Learnt that $10,200 of UI was exempted but did not amend since IRS will be auto adjusting it
  • 2021 July: Realized we made a mistake in the Capital gain calculation and hence chose to amend the return. So amended the return which include both changes:
    1. Unemployment benefits of $10,200 excluded
    2. Updated the Capital Gain calculations
  • 2021 August 23: Received a refund check for an amount considerably less than what we were expecting. Status of 1040X says 'Adjusted'. When we checked the IRS Account transcript, it is evident that only UI adjustment was done (Reduced AGI exactly by $10,200). Capital gain adjustment is NOT accounted.

Questions:

1. What does it all mean - does it mean that IRS 'auto' processed UI exemption and my actual 1040X is yet to be processed?
  2. What should we do now - submit another Amended return or just wait since the 16 weeks SLA for 1040X is only up in October?

@NewYorkTaxpayer Thanks for sharing your experience! Is this roughly in line with your fiancé's experience? At least from the 1040X status perspective, it looks that way. Can you please comment? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Amended 2020 return for two changes (Unemployment + Capital Gains); but IRS adjusted only Unemployment

1. What does it all mean - does it mean that IRS 'auto' processed UI exemption and my actual 1040X is yet to be processed?   CORRECT 
  2. What should we do now - submit another Amended return or just wait since the 16 weeks SLA for 1040X is only up in October?   WAIT ... amended returns are taking 4 to 6 months to process AFTER the IRS makes the change for the unemployment exclusion. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

1. What does it all mean - does it mean that IRS 'auto' processed UI exemption and my actual 1040X is yet to be processed?   CORRECT 
  2. What should we do now - submit another Amended return or just wait since the 16 weeks SLA for 1040X is only up in October?   WAIT ... amended returns are taking 4 to 6 months to process AFTER the IRS makes the change for the unemployment exclusion. 
RCK
Level 3

Thank you for your reply!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies