Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1


I hve a 4 thousand n 400 dollar w2 that came in the mail after I filed my taxes. How will this affect my tax return. And when can I amend my return? 

2 Replies
Level 15


You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.


If you left out a W-2, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is pending.  The changes will go nowhere.


Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return.


 If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes about 4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.


 Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed




The 1040X becomes available later in February, so you have to wait for it.  If your return is still being processed now, it would not be a good idea to amend yet anyhow.  Sending in an amended return while they are still processing your original return could cause confusion that would delay your refund for months.


Check back later for the 1040X.   AFTER your return has been fully processed.


**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Intuit Alumni


You need to wait for the first return to either be accepted or rejected by the IRS. If rejected, you can then add the second W-2 and refile the return electronically. If it's accepted, then you need to wait for the refund to be issued, then prepare an amended return, print, sign and mail it in, and wait the 12 weeks for them to process it and mail you any additional refund you may be entitled to.


Please see the TurboTax FAQ below on amending your tax return:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Privacy Settings