turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

After you verify your identity how long does it take to get your taxes back

I filed my taxes early this year and they were accepted on February 12. I got a letter from the IRS on March 13 that I needed to verify my identity. I couldn’t do it online so I had to call, and I couldn’t call until March 15. She said it was going to be 9 more weeks. I hope not. 

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@MistyBerrier74nc Nine weeks is the guideline that the IRS has set forth for this procedure. The following is an excerpt from their website:

" What happens after I successfully verify?

If we successfully verify your identity, we’ll process your tax return. It will take up to 9 weeks to receive your refund or credit any overpayment to your account. However, if we find other problems, we’ll contact you again. This will delay your refund more."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MM31106
Returning Member

I received the Taxpayer Protection Program letter (5071c).  I went online and created an account to verify my identity.  After I entered my SS# and last 8 of my credit card it said thank you for identifying and creating a profile.  I got the email that says I created a profile.  

Then online it took me to the next page that says we can't help you through the online verification tool.

Is this because they already have my info now and I've been verified?  Or is it because something else is wrong?  It's confusing.  I tried to call, but can't get through.

Any ideas?

This is something else ... you may need to wait a day for the online account application department to update so the check your Identity department can see it.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies