turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

After filing my tax return, I’ve discovered that I’ve made a mistake somewhere. How can I stop the process?

The adjusted gross income is wrong and may have something to do with the unknown taxable amount. How do I get that corrected?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

After filing my tax return, I’ve discovered that I’ve made a mistake somewhere. How can I stop the process?

You can't stop the process. Once you submit the efile it's just like dropping a mailed return into a post office box. Your return will be held in the TurboTax servers until the IRS pulls it starting on Jan. 28. The IRS will then either accept it or reject it. If rejected, you can then make the necessary changes and resubmit the efile.

If accepted, you must wait until the IRS processes your return and sends you the refund. Then you can begin the process to prepare, print, sign, and mail an amended return form 1040X to make the changes. Do not make any changes to your original return until you begin the amended return. The 1040X is estimated to be available on 1/25/19. After completion, it must be mailed. It can't be efiled. The IRS takes about 16 weeks to process an amended return. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You can't stop the process. Once you submit the efile it's just like dropping a mailed return into a post office box. Your return will be held in the TurboTax servers until the IRS pulls it starting on Jan. 28. The IRS will then either accept it or reject it. If rejected, you can then make the necessary changes and resubmit the efile.

If accepted, you must wait until the IRS processes your return and sends you the refund. Then you can begin the process to prepare, print, sign, and mail an amended return form 1040X to make the changes. Do not make any changes to your original return until you begin the amended return. The 1040X is estimated to be available on 1/25/19. After completion, it must be mailed. It can't be efiled. The IRS takes about 16 weeks to process an amended return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies