Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Adjusted refund amount of about 7000 Today I got a deposit that was 250 My state was only 50 I have no debt that Im behind on. This can’t be my full refund can it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Adjusted refund amount of about 7000 Today I got a deposit that was 250 My state was only 50 I have no debt that Im behind on. This can’t be my full refund can it?

The IRS website would have given you notice that the tax refund was being offset for unpaid debts or the IRS changed your tax return to reduce the amount of your tax refund - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

Why is my refund different than the amount on the tax return I filed?
All or part of your refund may have been used (offset) to pay off past-due federal tax, state income tax, state unemployment compensation debts, child support, spousal support, or other federal nontax debts, such as student loans. To find out if you may have an offset or if you have questions about an offset, contact the agency to which you owe the debt.

We also may have changed your refund amount because we made changes to your tax return. You’ll get a notice explaining the changes.  Where’s My Refund?  will reflect the reasons for the refund offset when it relates to a change in your tax return.

Tax Topic 203 - Refund Offsets for Unpaid Child Support, Certain Federal and State Debts, and U...  has more information about refund offsets.

what exactly do you mean by "adjusted" refund amount?
...................did you E-file a tax return, then later "Amend" it?
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Yes it was audited

Then you'll need to talk to the tax department that "audited" it to find out what they changed, and why.

Most of the time they are correct in their changes, but in certain situations can be wrong......so only you can find out what they changed and why.   We users can give suggestions as to what we think happened, but you need to get more details from the department who audited your file. There would be a telephone number on whatever notices they sent to you.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies