Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don't see one of my state tax returns that I need to print and mail in. I only see the Turbo Tax cover sheet

It says: Your District of Columbia state tax return (Form D-40B) shows no balance due or refund amount and Your tax return The official return for mailing is included in this printout. Remember to sign and date the return. Attach copies of all W-2s and 1099s to your return, however there is no form attached and I have to mail in this form.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I don't see one of my state tax returns that I need to print and mail in. I only see the Turbo Tax cover sheet

Actually you don't.  A Washington DC nonresident is not taxed in DC.  The D-40B is a nonresident request for a refund and is only used when DC tax has been mistakenly withheld.  Otherwise, a DC nonresident does not have to file a DC return.  You are not taxed there.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Actually you don't.  A Washington DC nonresident is not taxed in DC.  The D-40B is a nonresident request for a refund and is only used when DC tax has been mistakenly withheld.  Otherwise, a DC nonresident does not have to file a DC return.  You are not taxed there.

So do I need to just mail the cover letter and w-2s to the address listed?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

No, you don't need to mail anything to DC at all.  You don't have to file there.
anupam12k

I had the same situation. Will turbo tax give me a refund for the $45 they charged me for a state I didn't need to file for?
anupam12k

Folks -- any guidance ^?
Tmye

So what about those who live in another state worked in DC .. and on the W2 (for the job in DC) shows an amount that was taken out on line 17.. I requested a refund and the exact same thing happened saying it would print the form. Yet there is no D-40B anywhere in the tax return when you try downloading. I’ve called calling and had someone share my screen and all the options they advised to click to find it didn’t work.. and then the phone disconnected on their end …

Tmye

So what about those who live in another state worked in DC .. and on the W2 (for the job in DC) shows an amount that was taken out on line 17.. I requested a refund and the exact same thing happened saying it would print the form. Yet there is no D-40B anywhere in the tax return when you try downloading. I’ve called calling and had someone share my screen and all the options they advised to click to find it didn’t work.. and then the phone disconnected on their end …

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

When you were preparing your return you should have prepared a return as a non-resident of DC.  There are a couple of steps where you fill out the D-40B and verify your state of residency.  Then, when you have reached the end and have filed your federal return you will be able to print the DC form and save it to your computer as a pdf.  It should be separate from your federal return as a completely different file.  Then you can print it, sign it and mail it to the address that TurboTax includes in the pdf.

@Tmye

maggie899

I just went through this process, and the same thing happened to me.  We have a new rental property in DC (we don't live in DC) , and I wanted to submit the DC tax forms.  I was also only given the instruction sheet and no actual tax form to file.  I asked support for help and was directed to this email chain.  On another note, I was also told that the $64 I spent for a DC tax form (which I didn't receive) was ineligible for a product return since I filed online.  The satisfaction guarantee doesn't cover online filing.  Interesting. 

Anyway, the advice given here seems to be incorrect.  When I visited mytaxDC, I learned that you need to file a D-30 form (which you can do online).  There is a minimum business tax of $250 for businesses that earn less than $1M.  And, if you earn less than $12K in a year, you can file a D-30N affidavit online.  So, there are forms to be filed.  Turbo Tax just doesn't provide them to you.  The "non-resident" form is something you fill out if you think you should get a refund.  It doesn't have anything to do with any business taxes you may owe in DC and seemed to be totally irrelevant for what we needed. 

Good luck! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies