turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fennic100

When sending in my amended 1040x do I need to send all the w-2s, 1099s, etc or ONLY the one that I received late and was therefore not included in the original e-filing?

I am confused as to whether the IRS and state need copies of all my forms, or just the 1099 I got late.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DJS
Alumni
Alumni

When sending in my amended 1040x do I need to send all the w-2s, 1099s, etc or ONLY the one that I received late and was therefore not included in the original e-filing?

You need only attach the forms that support the changes that you've made to your tax return as reflected on the 1040-X. If you just received another W-2 or 1099 after you filed you tax return, then you would need to attach those forms. 

Assemble any schedules and forms behind Form 1040X in order of the “Attachment Sequence No.” shown in the upper right corner of the schedule or form. If you have supporting statements, arrange them in the same order as the schedules or forms they support and attach them last. Do not attach a copy of your original return, correspondence, or other items unless required to do so. Attach to the front of Form 1040X: A copy of any Form W-2, Form W-2c, and Form 2439, Notice to Shareholder of Undistributed Long-Term Capital Gains, that support changes made on this return; A copy of any Form W-2G, Certain Gambling Winnings, and 1099-R that support changes made on this return, but only if tax was withheld; and A copy of any Form 1042-S, Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding; Form SSA-1042S, Social Security Benefit Statement (Nonresident Aliens); Form RRB-1042S, Payments by the Railroad Retirement Board (Nonresident Aliens); and Form 8288-A, Statement of Withholding on Dispositions by Foreign Persons of U.S. Real Property Interests, that support changes made on this return. Instructions for Form 1040X (Rev. December 2014) -11-Page 12 of 12 Fileid: … s/I1040X/201412/A/XML/Cycle10/source 8:04 - 10-Feb-2015 The type and rule above prints on all proofs including departmental reproduction proofs. MUST be removed before printing. Attach to the back of Form 1040X any Form 8805, Foreign Partner's Information Statement of Section 1446 Withholding Tax, that supports changes made on this return. If you owe tax, enclose (do not attach) your check or money order in the envelope with your amended return.

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DJS
Alumni
Alumni

You need only attach the forms that support the changes that you've made to your tax return as reflected on the 1040-X. If you just received another W-2 or 1099 after you filed you tax return, then you would need to attach those forms. 

Assemble any schedules and forms behind Form 1040X in order of the “Attachment Sequence No.” shown in the upper right corner of the schedule or form. If you have supporting statements, arrange them in the same order as the schedules or forms they support and attach them last. Do not attach a copy of your original return, correspondence, or other items unless required to do so. Attach to the front of Form 1040X: A copy of any Form W-2, Form W-2c, and Form 2439, Notice to Shareholder of Undistributed Long-Term Capital Gains, that support changes made on this return; A copy of any Form W-2G, Certain Gambling Winnings, and 1099-R that support changes made on this return, but only if tax was withheld; and A copy of any Form 1042-S, Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding; Form SSA-1042S, Social Security Benefit Statement (Nonresident Aliens); Form RRB-1042S, Payments by the Railroad Retirement Board (Nonresident Aliens); and Form 8288-A, Statement of Withholding on Dispositions by Foreign Persons of U.S. Real Property Interests, that support changes made on this return. Instructions for Form 1040X (Rev. December 2014) -11-Page 12 of 12 Fileid: … s/I1040X/201412/A/XML/Cycle10/source 8:04 - 10-Feb-2015 The type and rule above prints on all proofs including departmental reproduction proofs. MUST be removed before printing. Attach to the back of Form 1040X any Form 8805, Foreign Partner's Information Statement of Section 1446 Withholding Tax, that supports changes made on this return. If you owe tax, enclose (do not attach) your check or money order in the envelope with your amended return.

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**
achiggins

May I download 1040-X and complete it on my computer?

@achiggins Google 1040X and download it from the IRS website.

Do I need to send proof of my foster child's placement in my home. In AZ its called a notice to provider.

Where do I send my amended tax return papers.  

I included my as dependent. That was the only change.

samuelrm

I filed 2019 tax as NR-EZ but want to amend it using 1040X because I should've filed 1040.

According to 1040X instructions: (1040X instructions) 

Resident and nonresident aliens.

Use Form 1040-X to amend Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ. Also, use Form 1040-X if you should have filed Form 1040 (or, for years before 2018, Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) instead of Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, or vice versa.

To amend Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, or to file the correct return, do the following:

• Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040-X.

• Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040-X.

• Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040-X.

• Complete a new or corrected return (Form 1040, 1040-SR for amended 2019 and later returns, Form 1040NR, etc.).

• Across the top of the new or corrected return, write "Amended."

• Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040-X.

Question:  In the new form 1040, I have my refund amount 'X'. But before, I owed IRS money and made a payment 'Y' online. I want to know how to record that payment in form 1040? cos I need to get X+Y now.

Can someone please clarify? thanks

sfisher

Thanks .

@samuelrm 

See Form 1040X Line 16. That's where you will list Y.

Your refund X will depend on that Y and the other amounts.

Review Form 1040X carefully for accuracy before sending it in.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies