turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have to paper file my massachusetts tax return. Do I send my WT2s, 1099 and 1098 in along with my tax forms?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

I have to paper file my massachusetts tax return. Do I send my WT2s, 1099 and 1098 in along with my tax forms?

According to the Massachusetts Department of Revenue instructions for 2016, as found in Column 3, on Page 17, of the Form 1 instructions booklet here (link below) you should:

"attach to your [ paper-filed ] Massachusetts Form 1, with a single staple, all state copies of your Forms W-2, W-2G, PWH-WA, 2G and any Forms 1099 which included Massachusetts withholding.  If making a payment, be sure to enclose Form PV with your Form 1."

http://www.mass.gov/dor/docs/dor/forms/inctax16/f1-nrpy/form-1-instructions.pdf

Note as well that those same attachment instructions would be valid for part-year and nonresident Massachusetts filers too, at least with respect to what taxpayer documents you should attach to your MA state tax return.

Please notice that this list includes state copies of your W-2, 1099 (if any state of MA tax withholding is indicated), but it does not include any form 1098.

That is the complete list for Massachusetts, from the official instructions.   Please be sure also to attach / include any actual tax forms that are generated by the TurboTax software for your Massachusetts state filing, in order to make your tax return complete and reduce the time of any processing delays.

Thank you for asking this question.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
GeoffreyG

According to the Massachusetts Department of Revenue instructions for 2016, as found in Column 3, on Page 17, of the Form 1 instructions booklet here (link below) you should:

"attach to your [ paper-filed ] Massachusetts Form 1, with a single staple, all state copies of your Forms W-2, W-2G, PWH-WA, 2G and any Forms 1099 which included Massachusetts withholding.  If making a payment, be sure to enclose Form PV with your Form 1."

http://www.mass.gov/dor/docs/dor/forms/inctax16/f1-nrpy/form-1-instructions.pdf

Note as well that those same attachment instructions would be valid for part-year and nonresident Massachusetts filers too, at least with respect to what taxpayer documents you should attach to your MA state tax return.

Please notice that this list includes state copies of your W-2, 1099 (if any state of MA tax withholding is indicated), but it does not include any form 1098.

That is the complete list for Massachusetts, from the official instructions.   Please be sure also to attach / include any actual tax forms that are generated by the TurboTax software for your Massachusetts state filing, in order to make your tax return complete and reduce the time of any processing delays.

Thank you for asking this question.

Hi do I need to attach my 1040 and nonresident Rhode Island return as well? Turbo Tax includes this in the print. Not sure If MA needs to see this.

I have the same question: do I need to attach 1040 and other state return for MA return as they are included in the Turbo Tax printout for MA return.
bsnoble

I called support but it was a terrible connection and the tech couldn't solve the problem.  I closed TurboTax after saving my work.  I re-opened it and went to where I left off and asked it to print the documents again and the Filing Instructions and Summary were included this time.  

Not sure where the bug is, but Intuit should look at this problem more closely.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the instructions below to print filing instructions for your State return. This way you can select which pages to print from your computer, the filing instructions as stated above, will tell you what you need to mail in to your state.

Your instruction worksheets will show you what you need to print and mail to your state.

1.    Sign in to your account  (if you haven't already done so), using the same login you used to file your return.

2.    If you can't remember,  go here  so we can help you get logged in.

3.    Once you're logged in, go to the bottom of the screen and click  Your Tax Returns and Documents. 

4.    Choose the tax year for the return you want to print

5.    Select Download/print return (PDF).

6.    On the next screen, click Download my return.

7.    Once your return has downloaded, locate the PDF and open it. If you see a printer icon at the top of the screen, click that; or if you have a File menu in the upper left corner, open that and select Print.

8.    Make any adjustments in the Print window, such as number of copies, and then click the Print button at the bottom.

9.    If nothing prints or the PDF saves instead of prints, repeat Step 6 and then:

o   Click the Advanced button near the top of the popup window;

o   Clear the Print to File checkbox;

o   Click OK,and then click the Print button again.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kanier
Returning Member

According to the 2020 website:

3)  Don’t use staples or paper clips

Please do not attach checks or other documents to your return with staples or paper clips. It will definitely slow down the processing of your return. Enclose them instead, when you send by mail.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies