turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long does it take to recieve my refund by mail?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

According to the IRS:

The IRS states that nine out of 10 e-filed tax returns with direct deposit will be processed within 21 days of IRS e-file acceptance.  If you opted to receive your tax refund via mail, it could take several weeks for your check to arrive.

Mailed paper returns: Refund processing time is 6 to 8 weeks from the date the IRS receives your tax return.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

According to the IRS:

The IRS states that nine out of 10 e-filed tax returns with direct deposit will be processed within 21 days of IRS e-file acceptance.  If you opted to receive your tax refund via mail, it could take several weeks for your check to arrive.

Mailed paper returns: Refund processing time is 6 to 8 weeks from the date the IRS receives your tax return.

I filed with TurboTax 9 weeks ago (2/10/2020) and still haven’t got my tax return. It said it’s status is “printed” for the last 2 weeks now. I have never had to wait this long for a tax return even by mail. Also in these trying times, I am very upset about it. 4/15/2020

@ katiemgibbs  wrote:

I filed with TurboTax 9 weeks ago (2/10/2020) and still haven’t got my tax return. It said it’s status is “printed” for the last 2 weeks now. I have never had to wait this long for a tax return even by mail. Also in these trying times, I am very upset about it. 4/15/2020

Please verify what "it said" refers to.  What is the "it?"

Where are you seeing "printed"?   Is that what you are seeing in your TurboTax account?  If you prepared your return in Online TurboTax, when you log into your Online account and go to the Tax Home, is "printed" what is showing for the status of your return?

What was your filing method?   i.e., how did you originally plan to file your return--did you want to efile it, or did you choose to print and mail the return?   If you chose to file by mail, did you actually print, sign, date, and mail it?   TurboTax does not mail it for you.

Did you prepare both Federal and state returns, or just Federal?

I filed by mail, Turbo tax wouldn’t allow me to e-file because they claim I didn’t file my 2018 taxes which I did, just not with turbo tax. I had my father’s accountant handle it. “It” is this app which is showing me the status of my return which has been “printed” for the last 2 weeks. I know it take 6-8 weeks for a mail return but I’m on week 9 and I’ve always filed by mail since 2018 and I always had my tax return before May. 

I’m talking about my refund. I filed my taxes online and I’m waiting for my return in the mail. 

@katiemgibbs wrote:

I’m talking about my refund. I filed my taxes online and I’m waiting for my return in the mail. 

The last 2 comments added some confusion.   2 comments up you said you "filed by mail."  In this most recent comment you said "i filed my taxes online."  The term "filed online" implies efiling.   Was that a mistype, and do you mean you "prepared" the return online and then printed them out and physically mailed it yourself to the IRS?

Let's try it this way:

If you chose to file by mail, please state if you went to the post office or mailbox and mailed the return you printed.  We see a lot of users on here who think TurboTax was going to mail it.

Also, did you have both Federal and state returns?   If so, did you mail them separately to the IRS and state?  Some users have mistakenly put them in the same envelope and mailed only to the state or vice versa.

If you physically mailed the return yourself to the IRS, then what do you see for the status of the return when you check it at the IRS "Where's My Refund" website?

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

When using that tool, for the Federal refund amount be sure to use the amount showing on your Form 1040, Line 21a.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies