Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

danieh427

Accidentally selected that I didn't receive Second stimulus

Hello, While filing my taxes, I accidentally checked the box that I did not receive my second round of stimulus even though I did as I was mistaken in thinking that it meant there was a second round of stimulus last year. I did in fact receive my stimulus check, but I have not cashed it because I am unable to drive to my bank at the moment to deposit it.  What should I do? Would it be best to void the stimulus check and not cash it, or cash it and amend it on my taxes so I can pay it next time I file?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

The IRS has not provided guidelines to handle the misstatement of stimulus payments received.  Due to the timing of the second round and tax filing season this is a very common experience.  The IRS may catch them when processing and notify you of making changes.  

Here is a link to monitor for updates to the Recovery Rebate Credit process. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did the same thing. I found the question a bit confusing and that's why I chose no for the second stimulus. I checked my mail today and a letter from the IRS dated February 1st 12 days before I filed was there. It was a 1444-B letter. It wasn't asking for anything specific. Will they adjust my tax return for me? Because I haven't received my refund yet my kid's mother got hers We filed the same day.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You are going to need to wait and see what happens.  The IRS may or may not adjust your tax returns.   If they adjust your tax return, you can keep the payments and you will not need to amend your returns.  But, if they do not adjust your returns and you receive the recovery rebate as part of your refund, you will need to amend your returns and return the payment or excess refund amount.   You are not alone, though.   A lot of taxpayers are in the same boat.   @nickjamato85

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies