Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Accidentally claimed the stimulus rebate on my taxes

I claimed the stimulus I had not received.  The IRS get my payment now says my stimulus will be deposited in 2  days
2 Replies
Returning Member

Accidentally claimed the stimulus rebate on my taxes

I am nervous about that. I filled my taxes a few days ago and I just found out that I’m going to receive my second stimulus check on February 3 and I claim it on my return because I didn’t know. 

Expert Alumni

Accidentally claimed the stimulus rebate on my taxes

If you filed, it is like dropping it into a mailbox - you cannot get it back, even if it's pending.


You'll have to wait until your return is either accepted or rejected when the IRS starts processing returns on February 12.

  • If rejected, you can make any necessary changes regarding your stimulus payments.
  • If accepted, you'll need to amend your return
  • To avoid unnecessary delays, do not amend until your original return has been fully processed.  You will need to print and mail the amendment.  
  • Allow 16 weeks for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.


It is possible the IRS will process your return without rejecting it, in which case if you cash your stimulus check they will know and should automatically adjust your Rebate Recovery Credit, but it's impossible to know for sure at this point though.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies