turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cependry

I just received a notice from the state of NC that says that I didn't pay my taxes. They are charging me a $224 penalty. I submitted my taxes through turbotax.

The NCDOR says they don't accept TurboTax payment. Do I have any recourse here?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I just received a notice from the state of NC that says that I didn't pay my taxes. They are charging me a $224 penalty. I submitted my taxes through turbotax.

No taxing authority accepts "turbotax payment". One reason is because turbotax doesn't pay taxes for anyone, and you can't pay your taxes "through" turbotax either. Filing your taxes and paying your taxes are two completely separate things. At best, you can use the program for most states (not all) to have the taxing authority debit your credit card or bank account directly. But absolutely nothing in the way of taxes is paid "through" turbotax, ever. TurboTax does not act as an intermediary for taxes you may owe to any taxing authority at tax time.

cependry

Ok, yeah, so I get that it's not paid "through." Those are the semantics that NCDOR uses. What is provided is EFT/bank account information.

A North Carolina direct debit from a bank account for state taxes owed cannot by initiated through TurboTax.
See the answer for this issue here, it has screen shots -
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3818982-need-to-speak-with-someone-trying-to-make-sure-that-i-paid...

Payment of NC state taxes owed should have been paid using the payment voucher with the payment being mailed to the state. Or you could have used the state website and chose either direct debit or credit card to pay the taxes owed - http://www.dornc.com/electronic/d400v.html
cependry

Very true. Doesn't help me now unfortunately.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies