Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

3rd stimulus check

So, my spouse filed our 2020 taxes (jointly) and it got accepted a few days before they disbursed the 3rd stimulus and I got $1,400 (they used my 2019 AGI) instead of $2,800. Should I take it into consideration and do something about it, or should I not worry about it? Either way, I'm fine because I could report it on next year's tax but I just want to confirm.


Also, if my spouse filed for both of us, would both of our stimulus check to go his account? 

3 Replies
Expert Alumni

3rd stimulus check

They may correct the amount and send you the balance some time this year.  Otherwise, you will be able to claim it as a credit on your 2021 tax return, if you are eligible.  Yes, if you filed joint your stimulus would be combined and sent as a single payment.  If you previously filed separately or recently got married, the payments could have been sent before you filed a joint return, resulting in separate payments.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
New Member

3rd stimulus check

Turbos Tax charged me $149 even though my return was rejected and they could not fix it. This is theft because they refuse to return the money they ensconced with. I will never ever use their services again. There is no telling how they have screwed me over in previous returns.



Level 15

3rd stimulus check

@SlowLane No one can tell what software you used since your post does not indicate what you used.  When you use the software you have to pay for using the software whether you e-file or mail the return.  The fee was not for e-filing--it was for using the software to prepare your tax return.  That is why they do not give you a refund if your return was rejected.   


E-file rejections come from the IRS---not from TurboTax.   If your e-file is rejected you might be able to fix it and re-file.   But if you have an "un-fixable" problem like a duplicate Social Security number then the only way to file is by mail.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings