turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2022 Filing Amended Return - Schedule D

I have filed our 2022 1040 Federal Tax return which includes the sale of a vacation home in 9/2022.  I listed the sale as Long Term via the step by step process but after checking the Form 8949 I noticed that the "acquired date" was entered incorrectly.  It was listed as acquired in 5/2022 when it really was acquired in 5/2020.  When I corrected it, the Amount due remains the same as it was forced as a long term sale.  Is it a good idea to file an amended form stating the date on Form 8949 is incorrect even though there is no change in amount due.  I'm concerned that some IRS computer might flag the mistake and issue a notice for more taxes due since with that incorrect date if would be a short term sale.  Thanks in advance. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Rather than file an amended return, I would wait to see if the IRS sends you a notice.  If they do, simply reply in writing to them and explain that it was a typo.  That said, you could file an amended return, but there won't be any changes reflected on Form 1040-X, just an explanation on page 2.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you - Probably will go ahead and file an amended return to avoid and confusion.

The box checked determines the holding period, not the Date Acquired.

@bobp1426 

Thank you - Probably go ahead an file an amended return - hate to wait to see if the IRS finds the mistake.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

It is up to you to go ahead and file an amended return, but not necessary since the amount does not change.  Filing an amended return adds to the confusion.  IRS is about the correct tax and if the amount does not change then the tax is correct.  Even if they contact you about a correction, they allow you to present information to clear up the item.

@bobp1426

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies