Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2020 Federal amended return rejected after efile

Got this in the email - 

/Return/ReturnHeader/FilingSecurityInformation/TotalPreparationSubmissionTs - Data in the return is missing or invalid. Please double check your entries. 

Had efiled using turbotax online - but it now directs me to download .tax and open using desktop software. When I open - it doesnt provide option about a rejected amendment - only if I want to file/review. I just do that anyway - and getting stuck at the page where it insists Signature date must be in 2021. (Though You can efile amendments beginning 2020).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

No.   You can e-file a 2022 amended return but you cannot e-file a 2020 amended return.  It has to be printed, signed and mailed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Paragon23
Returning Member

Had to sign up because this person is giving people incorrect information that contradicts what is available on the TurboTax site.  Please take a look at the information on the following two pages.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/amend-return/amending-your-income-tax-return/L4B7pN42I 

Step 4: Submit your amended forms

Beginning with the 2019 tax year, the IRS allows you to e-file amended tax returns if you filed the original return electronically and provided that your tax software supplier supports electronically filing amended returns. To amend a return for 2018 or earlier, you'll need to print the completed Form 1040-X and any other forms you're amending. Attach any necessary supporting documentation, such as:

• Any new or amended W-2s or 1099 forms
  • Other forms or schedules that changed, such as Schedule A if you updated your itemized deductions
  • Any notices that you received from the IRS regarding your amended return

Mail all the forms and documents to the address provided in the instructions or electronically file the return if you are able to.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/amend-return/how-to-file-an-amended-return-with-the-irs/L6kO691... 

Can I use tax preparation software to amend my return?

Yes. TurboTax walks you step-by-step through amending your federal income tax return.

Can I e-file a Form 1040-X?

Yes, the IRS began accepting e-filed amended returns for 2019 and later tax years. However, for an amended return to be electronically filed, your originally filed tax return has to have been electronically filed as well.

The IRS system typically allows you to e-file amended  returns for the current tax year and the two prior tax years. Amended returns for year prior to this time period cannot be e-filed. You will need to file these amended returns for older year by printing and sending them in by mail.

Not all tax software providers support electronically filing amended returns for other than the current year. If not then you will need to file your amended on paper and mail it to the IRS.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/e-[product key removed]-retur...

Can I e-file my federal Form 1040-X amended return?

SOLVED•by TurboTax•6962Updated 1 month ago

Your 2022, 2021, or 2020 federal Form 1040-X amended return may be eligible for electronic filing if the original return was successfully e-filed using TurboTax. However, there is a chance your return cannot be electronically filed. If this happens, you'll need to print and mail your tax return.

If amending for a year prior to 2020, you need to print and mail your amended return. Follow these instructions to amend a prior-year return.

Note: For amendments prior to tax year 2020, you must mail a paper return. While the Internal Revenue Service and your state may accept e-filed amended returns, TurboTax may still have you mail a paper return. This includes amended California returns.

Three weeks after mailing your amendment, you can start tracking it at Where's My Amended Return? on IRS.gov.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies