Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rmc_78

2015 1098 add on?

I have a 1098 that was sent to me from a mortgage lender after I finished my 2015 taxes.  Can I add it anywhere in my 2016 taxes or do have to amend my 2015 taxes?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

2015 1098 add on?

You will need to amend your 2015 tax return to include any W-2s or 1099s that were received after you filed. The data on these forms is specific to the tax year on the form. Any attempt to include the form in another year's tax return would be identified by the IRS matching program and would trigger a notice correcting that year's return.

Since you have filed your tax return and it has been accepted by the IRS, you will need to file an amended 2015 return. Open your 2015 return, and TurboTax will guide you through correctly entering your new data and printing Form 1040X. You may also have to amend your state income tax return if you have a state income tax. Please note that amended tax returns must be filed by mail.

For more information, please see TurboTax Guide - Amending Your Income Tax Return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

2015 1098 add on?

You will need to amend your 2015 tax return to include any W-2s or 1099s that were received after you filed. The data on these forms is specific to the tax year on the form. Any attempt to include the form in another year's tax return would be identified by the IRS matching program and would trigger a notice correcting that year's return.

Since you have filed your tax return and it has been accepted by the IRS, you will need to file an amended 2015 return. Open your 2015 return, and TurboTax will guide you through correctly entering your new data and printing Form 1040X. You may also have to amend your state income tax return if you have a state income tax. Please note that amended tax returns must be filed by mail.

For more information, please see TurboTax Guide - Amending Your Income Tax Return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies