turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Accepted federal refund now delayed

I am a single person with no children/dependents. I e-filed my federal return on January 14th. I received notification that my return was accepted on January 17th. I signed up for direct deposit. Today I checked the IRS "where's my refund?" and it says there is a delay in processing my refund with a 1541 reference code. What could this mean? My return is honestly very straightforward so I am not sure what could be holding it up. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErinH
Intuit Alumni

1541 is an an internal code that the IRS uses to identify returns that have been "delayed". That doesn't mean there is something wrong with your return, it could simply be because the IRS will not be processing 2017 tax returns until January 29, 2017 (unless they pull a few returns from tax preparation company servers for testing.) You can contact the IRS at 800-829-1040 for more information on the reference code, but they will likely give you a similar answer to above. You can also continue to check the IRS's Where's My Refund? site for updates.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ErinH
Intuit Alumni

1541 is an an internal code that the IRS uses to identify returns that have been "delayed". That doesn't mean there is something wrong with your return, it could simply be because the IRS will not be processing 2017 tax returns until January 29, 2017 (unless they pull a few returns from tax preparation company servers for testing.) You can contact the IRS at 800-829-1040 for more information on the reference code, but they will likely give you a similar answer to above. You can also continue to check the IRS's Where's My Refund? site for updates.

I got the same message on February 7. I called the IRS and was told nothing is wrong with my taxes. However, I was selected for additional review and it could take up to 60 days.
moniiful

Just called IRS accepted February 15 told problem with file transmission from software provider used turbo tax. Said the return information was not programmed properly but since now fixed should get refund in two weeks.
jysim21

I think it’s just Becuase they have not actually started processing them yet which doesn’t happen till the 29th. I also just got the same error code and was accepted back on Jan 20th.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies