turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ppl areTellingMetoAmmend?forTheLast3YearsBecasuseIDidmyTaxesWithH&RblockandWasAlwaysPenalizedForNothavingMedicalInsurance. $3500intotal,thisYearWithturbotaxfinallyWasnt.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Ppl areTellingMetoAmmend?forTheLast3YearsBecasuseIDidmyTaxesWithH&RblockandWasAlwaysPenalizedForNothavingMedicalInsurance. $3500intotal,thisYearWithturbotaxfinallyWasnt.

The first thing you have to figure out is whether you should have been penalized or not for not having health insurance.  If you were wrongly penalized (you met one of the conditions for an exception to the shared responsibility payment), you can amend your 2014, 2015 and 2016 tax returns.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Please rephrase your question. It's hard to understand.

My situation has been the same for the last 5 plus years and i finally did my taxes with turbo tax and was not penalized . But with H&R block I was and everyone kept telling me I shouldn't have because of my financial situation and now I guess I need to try to get my money back it I was wrongly penalized. But I don't know how it who to ask

The first thing you have to figure out is whether you should have been penalized or not for not having health insurance.  If you were wrongly penalized (you met one of the conditions for an exception to the shared responsibility payment), you can amend your 2014, 2015 and 2016 tax returns.

Thank you. And how do I find out if I was wrongly penalized. Who do I go to, IRS or H&R block. My fiancial situation has been the same every yr and everyone kept telling me I shouldn't be penalized. I have 4 kids , my husband is unemployed and i make 35000 a yr. I cannot afford medical for my husband and i and my kids have medicaid. So we were penalized $1400 the last 2 yrs and $400 the 1st yr.

I'd start with H&R Block - the IRS won't likely be able to help you.  Based on the information provided, you should be eligible for a subsidy for enrolling in an ACA (Obamacare) plan for the entire family.  I'm not sure how you and your children qualified for Medicaid given your income.

@Zbucklyo Please check your inbox for an email from us.

Ok, I'll go talk to someone from H&R block. Obama care for my hisband and I was about $345 a mth, which I could not afford. The penalty was less . All the money that was taken from my refund the last 3 or 4 yrs could of helped us so much , I will definelty talk to them and try to resolve this. Thank you for your help
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies