turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Every time I try to complete my RI state return which shows as "Incomplete" it returns me to my home page, whether in the Android app or online. I want to file this ASAP!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Every time I try to complete my RI state return which shows as "Incomplete" it returns me to my home page, whether in the Android app or online. I want to file this ASAP!

Your  Rhode Island state forms are not yet available for filing.  You'll have to wait a few days.

Some RI state forms will become available for filing on January 20.  Other RI forms, however, will not be available until January 27.  (see the FAQ below to look up your specific forms and dates.)

The state return can say "incomplete" if you already efiled the Federal return by itself and it has not yet been accepted, or if some of the state forms were not available when you tried to efile it at the same time as efiling the Federal return.  If it says "incomplete", your state return has NOT been efiled.  You will have to come back later to file it.

If you mailed the Federal return, then the State return cannot be efiled.  It would have to be filed by mail, too.

You can check on the availability of state forms here:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908857-state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-per... 

If your Federal return has already been efiled, you will have to wait until the Federal return has been accepted before you can efile the State return.    The IRS will not start processing returns until January 23, so soon after that date you should hear if your Federal return is accepted or rejected.  (A few returns will be pulled by the IRS before then for testing purposes so some people may get an early acceptance/rejection notice.)

So once your Federal return has been accepted (if efiled), and once all your state forms are available, you can then go back and open up your State return to complete it.  Carefully review it before filing since the forms may have updated since you last worked on it.

NOTE:  When you come back to your account to finish and file your return, you may see a notice to finish and file the state return.  If so, you can follow that path to see if it gets you back to the state return.

If it doesn't, here's a way to open the state return back up:
  • Scroll to "Some things you can do."
  • Choose "Add a state."  (you're not really adding one; that's just to get the return to open up.)
  • Once the return is open, you can complete the state return.  Carefully review it before filing since some of the forms may have updated.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Your  Rhode Island state forms are not yet available for filing.  You'll have to wait a few days.

Some RI state forms will become available for filing on January 20.  Other RI forms, however, will not be available until January 27.  (see the FAQ below to look up your specific forms and dates.)

The state return can say "incomplete" if you already efiled the Federal return by itself and it has not yet been accepted, or if some of the state forms were not available when you tried to efile it at the same time as efiling the Federal return.  If it says "incomplete", your state return has NOT been efiled.  You will have to come back later to file it.

If you mailed the Federal return, then the State return cannot be efiled.  It would have to be filed by mail, too.

You can check on the availability of state forms here:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908857-state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-per... 

If your Federal return has already been efiled, you will have to wait until the Federal return has been accepted before you can efile the State return.    The IRS will not start processing returns until January 23, so soon after that date you should hear if your Federal return is accepted or rejected.  (A few returns will be pulled by the IRS before then for testing purposes so some people may get an early acceptance/rejection notice.)

So once your Federal return has been accepted (if efiled), and once all your state forms are available, you can then go back and open up your State return to complete it.  Carefully review it before filing since the forms may have updated since you last worked on it.

NOTE:  When you come back to your account to finish and file your return, you may see a notice to finish and file the state return.  If so, you can follow that path to see if it gets you back to the state return.

If it doesn't, here's a way to open the state return back up:
  • Scroll to "Some things you can do."
  • Choose "Add a state."  (you're not really adding one; that's just to get the return to open up.)
  • Once the return is open, you can complete the state return.  Carefully review it before filing since some of the forms may have updated.

every time  i try to efile the software keeps going in circles I have placed my identity at least 15 times. i am trying  to file but I cannot get to the page to efile. please help

@ pzamarron3 wrote:

every time  i try to efile the software keeps going in circles I have placed my identity at least 15 times. i am trying  to file but I cannot get to the page to efile. please help

You are posting in a thread about the Rhode Island state return, so I assume that is the state return you are also referring to, although you didn't specifically say.

Rhode Island state forms are not yet ready for efiling.   According to the State Forms Availability table below, some Rhode Island forms are not available for efiling until the expected date of January 28, while some other Rhode Island forms won't be ready until February 4.    Look at the table at the link below to see when your forms will be ready.

Also open your return and go through the REVIEW tab.   It may tell you what forms are not ready and the availability dates.

State Forms Availability Table:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-...

@pzamarron3 

See my answer above about Rhode Island state forms not yet being available for efiling.

Also be aware that if you have already efiled the Federal return by itself, you won't be able to efile a state return until after the Federal return has been accepted.   If you have already efiled the Federal, you won't know for a while if it has been accepted/rejected.   Due to late tax law changes the IRS will not open up to start processing Federal returns until February 12, 2021, except for a few returns they pull early for testing purposes.    Any Federal return efiled this early will just sit on TurboTax servers in a "pending" status until the IRS starts pulling returns for processing on February 12 (except for those very few pulled early for testing.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies