turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Your installment result penalty

Your installment result penalty from IRS.Base your installment plan, I pay total $1814 by 4  payments,$448 each. After I made 2 payments, IRS asked me to pay late payment penalty and interest, almost $200. How I handle that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

For your 2016 tax due?  You might be confusing the 4 quarterly ESTIMATE payments for next year 2017.  Were the 4 slips labeled 1040ES?  Those are for next year.  Did the IRS say you hadn't paid 2016 at all?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The way you handle it is to pay what the IRS says you have to pay. The late-payment penalty and the interest are charged because you did not pay the full amount of tax that you owed by April 18. Penalties and interest will continue to be added until you have paid the entire amount due. Having a payment plan lets you pay over time, but does not eliminate penalties and interest. It doesn't change the fact that you are paying late.

It's not TurboTax's payment plan. It's an IRS payment plan. You used TurboTax to submit the application for the payment plan to the IRS, just like you use TurboTax to send your tax return to the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies